Monday, March 23, 2009

Heartbreaking Moments

It's moments like last night when Tori's death is hard. Josh went into Tori's room (it is still set up as her room except for our full size bed now) and saw Savannah standing there still looking at all of Tori's pictures in the frames. Josh startled her because she was in deep thought looking at them when he asked what she was doing. I promise with every fiber of my being, this is what this precious baby said: "I want Tori here. Can we go to the hospital and get her?" And before Josh could answer, it was like it hit her that she knew that wasn't right...because then she said, "No, she isn't there, is she? She's in heaven." Her daddy agreed and told her yes, she was indeed in Heaven with Jesus. She then asked if we could fly on birds and go to Heaven, too. How do you explain this to a 3 year old? I've tried many times, and told her that because Jesus died on the cross for us, we can go to heaven one day and see her again. She then went on to tell me that time that she wanted to die on a cross, too, so she could go to Heaven. I told her she didn't have to do that, that Jesus did it for us. So confusing to her and I don't try to make her fully comprehend just now, but it hurts me as her and Tori's mother because she doesn't understand. Later on last night, she asked me if she could have another baby sister. WOW.

So, my heart is left in shambles when I think on all this childlike innocence and how bittersweet her longing for Tori is, how she still remembers her and so many details, and how she longs for that sisterly companion, too. I praise the Lord for not letting my heart stay in this broken place all the time. He gives me so much joy to outweigh the sad times like this. Because trust me, there's plenty sad times when I don't expect them. For instance, this song I heard on the radio yesterday as we were traveling home from out of town. I was just numb after hearing it. It's called "Sissy's Song."


Why did she have to go
So young I just don't know why
Things happen half the time
Without reason without rhyme
Lovely, sweet young woman
(could've been a) Daughter, wife and mother
Makes no sense to me
I just have to believe

She flew up to Heaven on the wings of angels
By the clouds and stars and passed where no one sees
And she walks with Jesus and her loved ones waiting
And I know she's smiling saying
Don't worry 'bout me

Loved ones she left behind
Just trying to survive
And understand the why
Feeling so lost inside
Anger shot straight at God
Then asking for His love
Empty with disbelief
Just hoping that maybe

She flew up to Heaven on the wings of angels
By the clouds and stars and passed where no one sees
And she walks with Jesus and her loved ones waiting
And I know she's smiling saying
Don't worry 'bout me

It's hard to say goodbye
Her picture in my mind
Will always be of times I'll cherish
And I won't cry 'cause

She flew up to Heaven on the wings of angels
By the clouds and stars and passed where no one sees
And she walks with jesus and her loved ones waiting
And I know she's smiling saying
Don't worry 'bout me
Don't worry 'bout me
Don`t worry 'bout me


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

melissa...
wow! how innocent and amazing are our children! the love that they feel so deeply within at such a young age...it's amazing! no other would or even could take the place of tori...but just maybe, little savannah will get her wish someday! thinking of you and praying for you always! thank you for sharing that song...beautiful. so tragic for that family who lost both their baby girls. so sad.
love ya..
shannon s.

Kristin said...

I'm sorry, Melissa. So sorry that you and your family have to go through this.

Amy said...

Melissa,
It's just so hard explaining death to our little ones. Ann Catherine oftens asks me if she can go to Heaven to see Melissa. I explain that we can one day, but it isn't time for us to go yet. It's just so hard for them to wrap their little heads around it. During those times, I just pray for wisdom so I will know what to say. Savannah is a precious little girl and I will pray that God helps you and Josh to navigate these tough waters.

Amy

Christy said...

Isn't it amazing just how much our little ones DO understand? That comes only from God.

The Miller's said...

We are friends of the Huggins and met you once at Ronald McDonald house. Our son, Luke, died 3/9/07. Zachary, our oldest, is now 4 1/2. The Lord blessed us with another child (Timothy, born 11/10/08) and for most of the pregnancy Zach asked very similar questions. "Is baby Timothy going to go to heaven?". "Why can't Luke come back here?". Even now, MANY nights as we get ready for bed he cries and says, "I just miss Luke.".

I am amazed at how sweet and sensitive and understanding our small children can be at the loss of their siblings. It is also so difficult. I did not experience death until I was much older and my 4-year-old understands it NOW!

Yet, as we prepare with him to celebrate Easter I think he REALLY understands the death and resurrection of Christ. Since through that belief there will be eternal life for him I take a small amount of solace in him experiencing the death of his brother.

We continue to pray for you and your family and all of those we have "met" that have lost children.