Saturday, January 3, 2009

Letting Him Lead

So, I'll be perfectly honest and admit that at times I can be a control freak. I'm not much of a follower, and was always that strong willed child that the book is written about. I pretty much make up my mind about something, and that's that. People have told me before, "That's good, at least you can stand up for what you believe and not have people run all over you." Unfortunately, that's not always been the case. I am just as much a people pleaser at times- where I want to make peace and please others, even though I have my own thoughts or ideas. Some may call that humbleness, but really it can be straight out people pleasing, not always a good thing either. So, if you're strong willed like me, or have a domineering personality, you may have a problem letting God LEAD at times. Our strong willed spirit CAN be used for good and make us a good leader, administrator, etc., but it can also be very BAD if we use it the wrong way. The worst way is if we think WE can lead GOD. Not happening.

A friend of mine sent me the poem below and I just loved it. I thought it was perfect to use as my resolution for 2009. I have lots of thoughts, plans, dreams and desires I'd like to see come through for this year, but all of those things for Him may be completely different. The question is, will I let Him lead?? It's almost a daily struggle for me, something that has be worked at, tweaked, and a challenge to overcome at times in various situations. The strong willed spirit in me sometimes has to take a backseat to what He has planned for my life instead. Tori's life is a wonderful testament of that. I couldn't have stopped her death, but how I responded afterwards was the option that I had control over.

In 2009, I would like to give the Lord the steering wheel, truly let Him LEAD, over MY life, my husband's life, my child's life and everything in our paths such as our church, our jobs, etc. I hope you'll read the poem below and LET HIM LEAD. (sometimes easier said than done, I know, but trust me, you'll reap better rewards in the end if you do)

Dancing With God
When I meditated on the word Guidance,
I kept seeing 'dance' at the end of the word.
I remember reading that doing God's will is a lot like dancing.
When two people try to lead, nothing feels right.
The movement doesn't flow with the music,
and everything is quite uncomfortable and jerky.
When one person realizes that, and lets the other lead,
both bodies begin to flow with the music.
One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge to the back
or by pressing Lightly in one direction or another.
It's as if two become one body, moving beautifully.
The dance takes surrender, willingness, and attentiveness from one person and gentle guidance and skill from the other.
My eyes drew back to the word Guidance.
When I saw 'G: I thought of God, followed by 'u' and 'i'.
'God, 'u' and 'i' dance.'
God, you, and I dance.
As I lowered my head,
I became willing to trust that I would get guidance about my life.
Once again, I became willing to let God lead.
My prayer for you today is that God's blessings and mercies be upon you on this day and everyday.
May you abide in God as God abides in you.
Dance together with God,
trusting God to lead and to guide you through each season of your life. This prayer is powerful and one of the best gifts we can receive.
There is no cost but a lot of rewards;
so let's continue to pray for one another.

Author Unknown

No comments: