Monday, August 25, 2008

While I'm Waiting

Be honest for a minute and think about it...is WAITING really "fun?" Is it easy or what we WANT to do? Seriously, do you LIKE to wait in line at the bank, in the store or in the drive thru? NO. We are, by nature, very impatient creatures. Waiting and patience are not something we do very well the majority of the time. I know I sure don't.

I have been encouraged by one of my dear friends, Miranda, and her recent blogs on waiting on God and His timing while desiring HIS will and not ours. She talks about just being STILL and knowing He is God, which was "coincidentally" my devotion for today, and a verse that I have shared with a few friends that God has given me since Tori's death. I encourage you to read Miranda's recent blogs on this subject.

Why has WAITING on the Lord and BEING STILL and KNOWING HE IS GOD been brought to my heart and mind so much lately...hmmmm?? Probably because I'm so stubborn and strong willed until I am determined to do it MY way, when all the time God is watching and waiting on me to slow down so I can hear His voice and see His hand at work. If you're anything like me, you rush through life, with YOUR (our) agenda, YOUR plans, YOUR desires....when that is clearly not of God and what He desires for our lives.

If you remember from my recent post about the movie FIREPROOF, I recently went to the screening and was blown away and encouraged after leaving the theater. One of the songs, "While I'm Waiting," by John Waller is in the movie and plays at a very moving point of the movie. I would like to share the lyrics and the music with you. If you click on the link below, you can hear the song on myspace (you don't have to have an account), just scroll down and make sure "While I'm Waiting" is highlighted and playing on the music player to the right. Please take a couple of minutes to hear it. It is a very powerful song to me. I have listened to the soundtrack they gave us several times over and over in my car. Every song on there is absolutely wonderful.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=15287549

This song is a challenge to me that even while I'm waiting on God to work, to move, to speak...will I wait?? Will I Serve Him?? Will I worship Him?? Will I stay faithful?? Be honest as I am being with you, and think of when you're waiting on someone or something (in a spiritual sense or not) if you are having to wait longer than normal, or longer than YOU think you should be waiting, or even not knowing what you're waiting on sometimes, is it easy to always stay faithful to the cause?! I mean, is it always easy to stick to it or do you just want to give up and forget the whole thing at times?!

I think of being in a drive thru waiting to place your order and the line doesn't budge for over 5 minutes, would you still be sitting there? Would you have even made it to the 5 minute mark? If you're like me, I would have driven off because I wouldn't have paid yet and then go to the next closest place instead? Isn't that what we do with God? When we wait too long or don't like what's happening in the interim, we "drive off" and go looking for the next best thing.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to settle for the next best thing when I know God has something better in store for me right where I am right now...and that is waiting on Him to reveal it to me. So, until He does, I will strive to stay faithful, persevere, continue worshipping and serving Him and pray for His help to do all of that well. There's NO way I can do all that on my own (Phil. 4:13).

Here are the lyrics to the song and what JW personally writes about them. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

While I’m Waiting - John Waller
Psalm 5:3, 27:14, 33:20, 37:7, 38:15, 40:1, Isaiah 30:18, Lamentations 3:24

"The explanation for this song is simple, I was waiting on God and I was hurting when I wrote the lyrics. I probably wouldn’t have written
a song if my friend, Mike, hadn't encouraged me to document what I was going through during that time. I’m sure there are few people
who can’t relate to this song, but the important thing to remember while we’re waiting on God is to not just wait but to actively wait.
Serve, worship and be faithful with what you have, where you are… “even while (you) wait.” John Waller

I’m waiting
I’m waiting on You, Lord
And I am hopeful
I’m waiting on You, Lord
Though it is painful
But patiently, I will wait

I will move ahead, bold and confident
Taking every step in obedience

While I’m waiting
I will serve You
While I’m waiting
I will worship
While I’m waiting
I will not faint
I’ll be running the race
Even while I wait

I’m waiting
I’m waiting on You, Lord
And I am peaceful
I’m waiting on You, Lord
Though it’s not easy
But faithfully, I will wait
Yes, I will wait

I will serve You while I’m waiting
I will worship while I’m waiting
I will serve You while I’m waiting
I will worship while I’m waiting
I will serve You while I’m waiting
I will worship while I’m waiting on You, Lord

© 2007 Travelin’ Zoo Music (ASCAP) (admin. by EMI CMG Publishing)

2 comments:

gracie :) said...

This has been my lesson lately as well! I had a friend who saw the movie suggest the same song to me and I've been playing it over and over. Adoption is basically synonymous with "waiting" and it is so hard to remain in that place of surrender you spoke of. Today is a good day and I'm grateful, but it follows a couple of really difficult weeks in this arena. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Unknown said...

A few Scriptures came to my mind for you (and some for me) as I was looking in my Bible tonight. I thought I'd share them with you.

Lamentations Chapter 3 (all of it, but especially...)

v22. "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail."

v 32-33 "Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men."

Also Psalm 18...especially verses 25-36.

These next ones really hit me and hopefully they'll minister to you as well.

Colossians 3: 23-24 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

I love you guys and am praying for you!!

Julie