Saturday, December 20, 2008

"Be Still and Know That I Am God"


The above title is not something I am very good at...'being still.' I have been really discouraged, depressed, down in the dumps, whatever you want to call it, the closer it's gotten to Christmas it seems. It's not a constant feeling, but it comes and goes more than usual lately. I really think it is in anticipation of Christmas and all that the holiday season brings with the lack of having Tori here, and it is really taking a toll on me emotionally. I now understand why they say the holidays can be some of the hardest/worst times of the year for people. I truly never understood that until now.


So, this morning I had a mini breakdown about it all. Something specific triggered it, but once the tears started, I couldn't stop. I texted my group of special-heaven sent-prayer warrior-loving friends and asked them to say a prayer for me, that it was a tough day already. I have great girlfriends that have been there through this whole tragedy and I am so blessed to have them. I also called my mom and shared my heart with her. We can have our disagreements, but she is always there to listen when I need a friend. Her wisdom always comes in handy (although you never want to admit that to your mother...ha,ha,ha!) and she said when she feels the way I'm feeling about Tori, that she has to go "get alone with God, be still and quiet, and pour her heart out to Him, asking Him to remind her of all the blessings He's given." Something I knew I should do, but I was hurt and hadn't turned to Him first this morning but vented to others instead. It's okay to talk to others about our hurts, but He should definitely be our ultimate source of comfort over anyone else.


So, I got to thinking about it, and I went to Tori's room, shut the door, and I began pouring my heart out to Him. As I looked around her room at all her pictures, her stuffed animals, her blankets and her outfits, I was reminded of something I thought of that morning. Six of our Christmas cards hanging up this year are from people we met through Tori's life. Those are six lives or families that were somehow touched, impacted or simply brought into our lives through my precious baby girl's life that God blessed us with. Although that fact doesn't take away my pain or bring her back, knowing these people, and many more, through this tragedy has enriched my life. I have lifelong friends that have blossomed into wonderful friendships and I will cherish them always and how our relationship came to be. All of the memories I have of Tori are more than some mothers ever get to have unfortunately, but I am thankful for the six months I had with her. Although she was in pain and not healthy the whole time, we formed a bond that only mother's and their babies can have. I am thankful beyond words for that.


I asked the Lord this morning (as I have countless times before) to heal mine and Josh's broken hearts, to comfort us and give us continued peace. In my last post, I said that I will have to take comfort in knowing that He knew better than I did for the plan of Tori's life, but it doesn't stop there. Not only did He know better than I did, but He is helping me accept His plan as my own. Let me explain. I have prayed before that my desires will be His, and although Tori dying was not my desire, He is teaching me through each hard day like today that His will was carried out and that I want what He wants. That does NOT mean I wanted my daughter to die, but it simply means that I want SO badly to give of myself and my desires, that I want to sarcifice any desire I might have over Him, and put it to the backseat compared to what He has planned. I want a baby girl like a lot of my friends have. I want two girls to celebrate Christmas together this year. I want a family of four and it to feel "complete" in our home. I want this hole in my heart to be filled. I want Tori back. But if I truly mean what I say I believe, I will willingly sacrifice those desires and ultimately accept His instead.


Am I always this selfless in my thinking?! Unfortunately not. It's a growing process, something that it takes a lot of heartache and conviction to bring me to this place. It definitely isn't the best travel, but the journey is worth the end result, I'm sure. Like I told my mom this morning, I'm just ready to see what the end result of all this is....the joy that comes in the morning....because it just doesn't all make sense. That probably won't happen until I reach heaven, though, so I will have to wait. Things like knowing the people (some of you) that sent us Christmas cards and correspond with me regularly now, help with that waiting, though.


Thank you for listening, and I urge you to "be still and know that He is God." Really. It's not just a cliche saying. It's real and it works. All of the pain in my heart isn't gone after this morning, but talking to Him did remind me of a lot of the blessings in my life, a major one being Savannah, and then lots of other things He's done and worked in my life these past two years and before. Like I said, I'm not "STILL" near enough with the hussle and bussle of our busy lives, but man when I am, the outcome is sweet.

6 comments:

Kristin said...

I have to remind myself often about being still and listening to what God is trying to tell me.

Some of the greatest lessons and sweetest times I've spent with God have been when I was still and just let him move.

I'm still praying for you and your family during the holidays.

Anonymous said...

Melissa,

I just wanted you to know that you are on my heart this Christmas and I am praying for your peace and comfort. You continue to encourage and enlighten others and God continues to use this situation for his purpose. Have a Merry Christmas and try to enjoy the festivities as much as your burdened heart will allow. I have learned through my situation with mom that none of us know how long we are going to be here and we can't take a precious minute for granted! Merry Christmas! We are thinking and praying for you all.

Love,
Natysha

Anonymous said...

dearest melissa...
wow! i truly appreciate your journal today. i needed that! most times, when i read your entries...it brings so much "reality" to me. i NEED to be STILL...and KNOW that He is God. that truly is such a hard thing to do. i am not one that gives up worrying about things very easily. i am NOT good at being STILL and just KNOWING that He is WHO He says He is.
i wish that i could just take even a small piece of your pain, if it meant that you didn't have to feel it. i pray that daily, things get easier. i know that you will never be the same, and you shouldn't be, but i do pray for peacefulness and comfort for you and josh and your whole family as you walk through the next days...and all of the days ahead of you.
i do cherish you and what you have blessed me with in this life. knowing you and your sweet tori. you have given so much to me just by sharing your thoughts. i do consider you as a blessing and a gift from the Lord. i hope in some way, that can and will comfort you. nothing that you have gone through is in vain...without purpose, but the complete opposite! i am better for having the opportunity for praying for you and loving you for about a year now. thank you. my words can not articulate just how much you mean to me...what your life, and tori's life means to me.
always praying for you, always thinking of you. and may God bless you richly for the rest of your days.
tights hugs i hope you feel...
shannon stinson

Amy said...

Melissa,
Your grief is so normal, and please know that God IS teaching you through this grief. I can tell by reading your post. You are growing in Him and, as I have said before, he used and still is using Tori's life to touch so many people.

I can understand so many of your feelings, because I feel them too. Please know that he is working to heal your heart and I just know your family is going to have so many blessings poured out on you for enduring this trial with so much faith.

Merry Christmas,

Amy

Sherrill said...

You don't know me, but I began reading your blog shortly after Tori died. My first two children were born prematurely, lived in the NICU a short time and then died. I went on to receive my miracle - a 9 and half pound baby girl, a gift from God. That was almost 33 years ago.

Last year my little "miracle" had a baby who was fullterm - no obvious problems throughout pregnancy - but stillborn.

All the pain, the questions, the torment I had after my own losses reared their ugly heads again. But it was worse in a way - I'd rather suffer than see my child suffer. I know you understand that.

Thankfully, down through these years, faith and the grace of God have healed the wounds - but the scars are still there. The scars will always be there. :-) But I'm glad for that. When I see the scars, I am reminded of His deliverance. And He has given me such great faith through the pain and the questions and, yes, even through the torment. Because when no man (or woman) could comfort me, He did. And He did it in ways that were undeniably divine in nature. . .no mistaking where my help came from!

As I prayed for my daughter and begged Him to send help and comfort to her, I stumbled on Amy George's blog. Truly STUMBLED on it while looking for a current news story one morning! And linked to Amy's was yours.

People like you and Amy were my little girl's lifeline. (I think her Mom's experience might have helped a little - but face it - I'm ancient history - LOL)

And I have thanked God over and over and over for you - and begged Him to comfort you. Because just as He showed me years after my losses that they did indeed allow me to give comfort to others who were suffering - I know there will be a time when you truly realize that as well. And that will be a balm to your pain.

You will never be the same. You will never be as carefree as you once were. But your joys will be deeper and richer and more real. When you rejoice in His blessings, your cup will truly overflow.

I pray for you and "check on you" often - be patient with yourself - and when our adversary taunts you with his version of the "unfairness" of your loss, please go hug Savannah.

Merry Christmas to you and your sweet family. There is joy and sunshine ahead for you - and a lasting peace that only He can give.

Christy said...

Sherrill's comments reminded me of a Sara Groves song, "Less Like Scars". It's a very moving song that has really ministered to me throughout the years, especially after several losses. The songs talks about how God turns our scars into character.

Here's a link to the you tube video if you want to hear it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9RDNuUz7Sk

Or if you just want to read the lyrics:
It's been a hard year
But I'm climbing out of the rubble
These lessons are hard
Healing changes are subtle
But every day it's

Less like tearing, more like building
Less like captive, more like willing
Less like breakdown, more like surrender
Less like haunting, more like remember

And I feel you here
And you're picking up the pieces
Forever faithful
It seemed out of my hands, a bad situation
But you are able
And in your hands the pain and hurt
Look less like scars and more like
Character

Less like a prison, more like my room
It's less like a casket, more like a womb
Less like dying, more like transcending
Less like fear, less like an ending

And I feel you here
And you're picking up the pieces
Forever faithful
It seemed out of my hands, a bad situation
But you are able
And in your hands the pain and hurt
Look less like scars

Just a little while ago
I couldn't feel the power or the hope
I couldn't cope, I couldn't feel a thing
Just a little while back
I was desperate, broken, laid out, hoping
You would come

And I need you
And I want you here
And I feel you

And I know you're here
And you're picking up the pieces
Forever faithful
It seemed out of my hands, a bad, bad situation
But you are able

And in your hands the pain and hurt
Look less like scars (x3)

And more like
Character