Tuesday, June 3, 2008

God's Sense of Humor

I started a new job yesterday. It's just for the summer, and it's only 4 hours a day Monday thru Thursday, but it brings in a little money and gives me something to do while still being able to be with Savannah. She's actually in my class, too. I'm teaching 2 year olds at a church here in town. There's also another little girl in the class that I think I will be quite fond of. I watched her a lot yesterday, just staring into her big, blue eyes and looking at those big, brown ringlets bounce as she ran around. When I heard them call her "Tori," I froze.

Tori is not a common name. When we named Tori what we did, I knew NO ONE with that name and hadn't heard it in quite awhile. Out of all the classes there for me to be teaching, and the many kids' names out there, to have a Tori in my class had to be God showing me His sense of humor I thought at first! :)

After telling this to a friend of mine yesterday evening, she told me that she had prayed that there wouldn't be any difficult situations there for me to run into (meaning there would probably be babies there, and she prayed that it wouldn't be painful for me. That's another subject, but just to be honest, it hasn't been the easisest thing for me to be around them, but it's getting better). She went on to say that the Lord must know better than she did of what kind of challenges I must be up for! :)

I thought about that statement, and how this could be a growing thing for me as I continue to grieve. It may not all sound like a big deal, but just to call her name out loud, "Tori, come here," or even weirder, because Savannah is in my class, say "Savannah and Tori" in the same sentence. Just saying it out loud was weird in itself, but to watch her mannerisms and see her smile, is just like watching a 9 month old baby, which is what Tori would be this month. It's heart wrenching to say the least; it's amazing to say the most!

So many thoughts and emotions went through my head yesterday, and I don't mean to sound like I am saying that God was playing a big joke on me or torturing me by any means, but I think it's kind of humorous, or enlightening I guess, that He would allow a little girl to be in my class named Tori....a name that is not common and not really expected. But then God works through us in the unexpected, right? I pray that He will use me as I love on and minister to these little children...children are my heart and I love them dearly.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I think that is pretty neat, myself. It just shows that God knows you are strong in Him and you are ready to face things you didn't think you were ready for yet. Love you!

Daddy Dale and Mommy Jen said...

Melissa,
I totally agree!!!
Maybe it is God's way of allowing you to see Tori in a different light... How challenging it must be, but you are strong and can do it!!!!!!