Saturday, June 14, 2008

VBS

We just finished up Vacation Bible School at our church and I was honored to be able to teach 3rd graders this year. When I was a child, I always said "When I grow up, I want to be a teacher, and I want to teach 3rd grade." I thought they were old enough to read and follow directions, but not "too old" yet. Well, I finally got to teach 3rd grade- little did I know that God would use me to do so in VBS!

I thoroughly enjoyed my kids- they were a great group! I probably learned just as much from them this week as they did from all of us! The majority of my group were very familiar with all the Bible stories we talked about, they knew exactly where books in the Bible were when we did something similar to Bible drills, and many shared about their salvation. I had 2 girls that did not know alot of these things, but I am thrilled to say, they accepted Jesus as their Savior on Wednesday!! I was so ecstatic to know that I will now see these 2 girls in Heaven one day, along with my sweet baby Tori!! The Lord is still using Tori's life in small ways, just as He did this week.

Tori's life and death have become so much apart of who I am, because of the experience, feelings, etc., until I can't help but think of and share it all when it comes to various issues. Especially heaven, and especially salvation. Let me explain. As the 2 girls and I talked about the plan of salvation, heaven, etc., I also shared with them that I have a baby in Heaven and that I will be able to see her again one day in her perfect body when I get there. I explained that the only way I will get to see her is because I am saved and have that relationship with Jesus Christ. I hoped that made them understand more about Heaven, that it's real, because it's a real, tangible thing I will get to experience because of what I believe and that I am saved. I know it really clicked with one of the girls about what salvation meant, that she believed everything I had taught, and that heaven seemed real because of what she told me the next day. As she was leaving the classroom, she said something I will never forget. It may not sound that profound to anyone but Tori's mother, but that's okay.

We had all clapped and celebrated hers and the other little girl's salvation and told them how excited and happy we were for them. As she was leaving the room after that, I said "Deborah, everyone is so happy for you to know that you'll be going to Heaven with us all one day!" Her reply was that she was excited too, and that she would now get to see Jesus and my baby, too. WOW. It really clicked with her. Heaven seemed untangible to her through some of the questions she was asking me that day, but when I shared what I did with her, it seemed real.

The Holy Spirit drew that little girl to the place in her heart where she knew that she needed Him. Her mother told me at Family Night that some of the questions she had had were confirmed and she was so glad that she finally understood and had accepted Him! I will pray for her, that the Lord will grow her throughout the years and remind her of this committment she made at VBS all those many years ago.

These that I shared were only 2 of 11 salvations this week, PRAISE THE LORD!! All of the hard work decorating, planning lessons, craft preparation, snack donations, everything done by any of our volunteers this year helped plant a seed in these 11 children's lives. I am humbled that the Lord allowed me to be apart of it all. I look forward to next year!!

No comments: