Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lesson well Learned

Well, yesterday was sadly the last day of my 7 week Beth Moore Bible Study, Stepping Up. (I still encourage all ladies that can to participate in this study if at all possible.) I was VERY sad to see it end; I have looked forward to meeting each week and doing my homework during the week, too. It was the first time that homework wasn't dreaded!!

Looking back over my workbook and reading over the things I highlighted and underlined that were important and meaningful to me got me realizing even more that God has had His hand on my life these past 7 weeks. He has been preparing my heart and working in me for a purpose and to see that now is so amazing. To see God's hand at work is something you don't want to miss out on, I promise. I am so thankful that I learned some of these things that I'd like to share with you all if that's okay.

"Humility is the natural posture of anyone who grasps the greatness of God." She talked about humbling ourselves before God is not self-hatred, but getting on our hands and faces before God is an act of reverence and surrender. If we are not able to humble ourselves, but carry on with our prideful attitudes, how then are we able to grasp the greatness of God? That is something I want to definitely not miss out on.

"Has it been awhile since you've had a good jolt to jump start your journey again? Do you want to learn to take the high road in that ongoing situation or conflict that so often tempts you to take the low road?" Little did I know when I read this in the first session that I was going to need these things during this study, but I did and am so thankful that I did this study. These are things this study prepares you for, Ladies. I urge you again to do this Bible study if at all possible.

"Sometimes we don't know why we're on a certain road with God until miles have made their way to the soles of our feet." WOW. That's all I can say. Miles later into my journey in life and in this study, I see some of the things God used on this road to help prepare me and strengthen me. He can do the same for you. Will you trust Him as you walk this road?

"If we could only see beyond the veil of the natural world, look upon our true surroundings, see the kingdom in the distance, and behold the face of Jesus Christ, we'd realize the tragedy of ever settling into a stagnant, mediocre relationship with God. That you and I are still here drawing terrestrial breaths tells us that God still has appointments for us." Well when you put it like that, wow, how could you not feel convicted about what we've let our relationships with Him become? It challenged me to grow with Him and not be mediocre at best.

Sometimes I admit that I want to throw in the towel. I've struggled with depression and Satan hopes every time that I will want to just give up when the bottom seems to fall out. I have to think that there is still SOME reason, some PLAN, some PURPOSE that I am still here, enduring what I am, and He is in control of it all. I at least owe Him my faithfulness and perseverance until I do see Him face to face.

"John Calvin called the Psalms, "An Anatomy of all the parts of the soul." While studying in the Psalms, I saw how vividly that the Psalms described so many emotions I was feeling. As he put it, "the Holy Spirit has here drawn to the life all the griefs, sorrows, fears, doubts, hopes, cares, perplexities, in short, all the distracting emotions with which the minds of men are wont to be agitated." She talks about what if we turned all these emotions into an avenue of worship rather than distraction? The Lord could work in each of us in a mighty way if we used books like the Psalms to guide us as we experience emotions like these.

Well, this was only day one of week one. It kind of introduced what we would be studying and what to expect. I'll share more of the heart of it later. If you want to see for yourself the Psalms we studied, open your Bible to Psalm 120-134 and have a good read!

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Melissa, I know that you already know this, but as one Christian woman to another, for validation: the reason that you are still here is to mother and create a Godly woman in Savannah along with being a Godly wife and support system for Josh.

I too struggle daily to take the high road with daily obstacles... it is so easy and natural to take the low road sometimes - I think it is a struggle we all face.

Just know that we are thinking about and praying for ya'll daily.