Sunday, July 20, 2008

Through the Eyes of a Child


I have forgotten what it's like for the most part to see things through the eyes of a child. All the simplicities and innocence we took for granted, or simply because we just didn't know any better, are really missed sometimes. We were so naive until we matured and grew into adults, but weren't things a lot easier then, too?!

I know that the Lord never meant for us to stay a child, or as the maturity of one, but to grow in Him and grow up, too! But haven't you ever thought, even jokingly, "I just wanna be a kid again! No responsibilities. No problems. No worries." Well, to be honest, the thought has crossed my mind before when something particular may have triggered the thought, especially like tonight.

As I was putting down Savannah for bed and saying our prayers tonight, I was doing what I usually do and that is to "help" her pray, while she adds in things here and there: "Pray for Papaw, pray for Mammie, pray for Nana Lo, etc." Well tonight after we finished and I was leaving her room, I heard her say "...and I pray for Tori, too; keep her safe." It was precious.

Savannah was old enough to grasp the concept that Baby Tori was her baby sister, that she was sick and that she was in the hospital and that's where Mommy and Daddy always went. But when she died and we tried to explain heaven to a two year old, it was nearly impossible. We couldn't explain death or where she was. When going to the cemetery with us one time, she wanted to know where Tori was because we had said we were going to see her. It's confusing to her I'm sure, but to know that she still thinks about her and even prays for her, it's precious.

Don't get me wrong, I want her to grow and know our Savior personally and understand what Heaven is all about, but I also thought it was sweet to keep her childlike faith and thoughts for as long as possible! No death, bad times, trials or struggles exist to her. How nice is that?!

We hadn't even discussed Tori to her today, so to think of that by herself tonight, I was surprised. Usually things will trigger her prayers, like if it's someone she had talked to on the phone or just seen. I already knew she was smart, but I guess it's actually a sign of her growing up after all, huh?

Anyway, there's no real "point" to my blog; her saying that tonight just got me thinking about what it was like to be a child and how nice it was to have my parents bear everything for me and me just enjoy life! Children have no concept of time, reality or things like that...when they're this young anyway. However, I remember thinking as a child one time that there weren't people in places I had never been, that only the ones I'd seen or places I'd visited even existed. :)

I guess this is also another reason I could have a trillion children- I love their innocence, how they think, their own "languages" and their perception of life is really quite simple and much happier!

Rather than try to explain it to Savannah tonight, I just kissed her forehead, told her that was sweet and goodnight. We will have plenty of time to tell her how wonderful her little sister really was. She has already heard that she is with Jesus and that is the best place she could be if she can't be here with her mommy and daddy! I can only imagine what her little, inquisitive mind makes of that!

2 comments:

The Hull Munchkins said...

So sweet! Her prayer made my eyes water. You are so right, children are deeply precious.

Hope to see you at the Swim for Melissa event next month!
-Patty

Christy said...

What a sweet moment you captured, hearing Savannah's prayer. I, too, think back about my childhood days and wish it were that simple for me again. Have you kept up with the Bible study? Last week's gave us a picture of how God comforts us like a mother comforts her child. That was precious to me. It brought back beautiful memories of when I just wanted Mom to hold me, maybe for no reason, but just to hold me. God does that for me! How wonderful!
Love you.