Thursday, July 31, 2008

In Times of Distress

When you're at your lowest point, feeling like you are defeated and distress is all around you, what do you do? Do you call out to Him? I must admit I have been guilty of not always doing so. Taking it to Him has in turn changed my thought process and often times calmed me down about the situation.

In day 2 of our Study, our context came from Psalm 120: "In my distress I called to the Lord, and He answered me. Lord, deliver me from lying lips and a deceitful tongue. What will He give you, and what will He do to you, you deceitful tongue? A warrior's sharp arrows, with burning charcoal! What misery that I have stayed in Meshech, that I have lived among the tents of Kedar! I have lived too long with those who hate peace. I am for peace; but when I speak, they are for war."

This first Psalm of Ascent was a distress call, and as Beth puts it, "not a bad place to start a journey. Sometimes the best motivation we'll ever have for going someplace new is distress over someplace old." She went on to say that a relationship is what the Lord desires, and not just an emergency response. He wants close interaction with us. I have been guilty of not making a personal relationship priority, but yet expecting God to give and bless my life. But how can we expect blessings when we don't bless God?? (more on that later)

In the NIV, it describes how the psalmist had a "woe is me" moment at the beginning of his journey. ("Woe to me that I dwell in Meshech, that I live among the tents of Kedar!" Ps. 120:5 NIV) Meshech and Kedar are not common places to us, but as Beth said, they describe a place where the psalmist felt as an alien, far from where he wished to be. The people around him in these places contributed to his feeling this way. The scripture says they hated peace and had deceitful tongues. He wanted out from all that! Do YOU have relationships like that? See what Beth says about this:

"We may have relationships with some people who don't highly prioritize integrity and who fight dirty, but somewhere along the way we've got to quit getting in the mud with them. Part of making our ascent is learning to take the high road. The process can begin by voicing to God the pain you've suffered on the low road. If you need to, have a biblical "woe to me" moment concering some difficult environments you're enduring. Sometimes you just need to get some things off your chest and know someone has listened. We can address God with some virtually impossible circumstances and personalities that surround us as we're trying to keep our spiritual act together. Some of you may feel as if you have so much stacked against you in your daily environment that it's no wonder you've lost your joy -- your holy passion, your effectiveness."

Have you been in YOUR "Meshech" too long? Have you dwelled among YOUR "tents of Kedar" and are ready to move on? If so, let me tell you what she says about doing this: "As you and I seek a higher road to walk on planet Earth, the time may have come to unlearn some things and sign up for some new lessons. Avoiding conflict is not the solution, but learning how to deal with it is. If we're willing, God will teach us. He will use His word, His Spirit, and on a good day, He will use His people. Meshech and Kedar were good places to begin on a journey upward. We must be honest about where we are before we can journey effectively to where we want to be."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa, You do not know me, but I am Natysha Neel's (or Ty to me) cousin. I live in Virginia and I prayed for your angel, Tori, for you, and for your family. God allowed us to begin a ladies prayer group, which we coined LEGG (Ladies Experiencing God Group) shortly before you gave birth to Tori. God allowed us to meet in prayer once a week, usually Wednesdays or Thursdays to pray for our families, our marriages, our children, our community, and even our nation. We also prayed for you and your family. We still remember you. Our churches and our families have been connected by God in a unique way. My husband and I had a difficult day yesterday. Our oldest son turned 18 and what was supposed to be a day of celebration for our family started off on a bad note. My husband, Luke, who is usually the rock in our family was all out of sorts. We are in the "Midst of a Storm" but we didn't feel blessed yesterday. At least, we didn't feel blessed until I spoke with Lynnette (Nette as Ty and I call her). While I was on the phone with her, lamenting my woes, she said, "Let me read something to you. It came from Melissa's blog and I just got it in email." I listened and then I knew. I hung up the phone and asked my husband to sit while i read the blog to him. Luke and I have been in our own personal Meshech, brought on by outside persons. Only last week did we have a meeting in which we sat down together, took pen and paper, and made a list of the struggles in our lives that is causing all the turmoil. There were 7 items listed. Then, we wrote a page of Resolutions. I still didn't get the whole picture until i read your blog. Luke and I could not understand why we had not been able to rise above these things. These were things that have caused conflict in our lives for a year or more now, some much longer. After reading your blog, I realized that Luke and I needed a new way to address these issues. Our Resolutions page was just that in a nut shell, but it was still going to be difficult not to revert to our old way of thinking. Your blog spoke volumes to me, to us, about what we feel like God is asking us to do. I felt a great sense of peace and joy yesterday after reading your blog. Yes, I do believe "on good days, God uses His people to help His other children learn more about His character." God used you in Alabama to help people in Virginia that you did not know existed. He has blessed you with a ministry that is all your own. God's love for us is amazing. He takes unrelated events which occur miles apart in strangers lives and connects His children to each other, binds them together, in such a beautiful way. I just wanted to share with you what God is doing through you and your family because you have made yourselves available to others. I hope you have a blessed day because you have been a blessing to my family and to me. Your sister in Christ, Neisha Smith

Christy said...

The journey through the Psalms has also been a tremendous blessing to me. God is so good and so faithful; it really cannot be said enough.