Thursday, November 20, 2008

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year


I LOVE Christmas in case you didn't know! NOT because of receiving gifts, although unfortunately that wasn't always the case as a child and even teenager. I have truly discovered and cherish the true meaning of Christmas, and first and foremost that is that the greatest gift of all is celebrated at Christmas time....and that is the birth of our Savior. Without His birth, and in the coolest way possible I might add, Christmas would be pointless. Who would have ever expected a King to come in a manger in a bed of straw?? You would expect the best hospital, personal nursing care, and all the things money could buy. No, He came humbly and willing even then. He loved us that much to sacrifice even a grand entrance. Have you ever thought of it that way? I say it that way because I'm sure He could have changed that, don't you think?! Because He was the Son of God, He even had the power to get off that cross when he died, but He chose not to. He sacrificially gave of Himself. Wow, He loves us that much. So, that is the MOST important thing about Christmas, but guess what else makes Christmas important and special to me?? Well, I'm glad you asked...just let me tell you....


Family....togetherness....traditions.....carols....GIVING gifts.....kindness....compassion....and the list goes on. Although Christmas has become very commercialized through the years, I love all the decorating, the family and friend get togethers, the singing Christmas music in our cars, our homes, our church's, our schools, and the feeling that comes with this time of year by the majority of people. I LOVE buying gifts for others. Although money is really tight this year, I love bargain shopping and finding good deals on gifts I think family members will really love, especially Savannah. That is one of the things I love most about Christmas: giving Savannah the kinds of Christmas' I grew up having and now cherish as I think back on them.


The sad part to this perfect sounding story for me this year....Tori is not here to share it with us. I wish with all my heart that she was....nothing would thrill my heart more than to see my two girls wake up together on Christmas morning like my sister and I always did, and see their smiling faces Christmas day. As I see Savannah get excited about the lights, the Christmas music and what she wants to ask Santa for this year, I am constantly reminded that I should have TWO girls doing these things this year. This is why they say the Holidays can be some of the most depressing times of the year vs. the most wonderful time of the year. It is often times when people miss their loved ones who have died and long for them to still be here to share in the family traditions, etc.


One of the first things we will be doing to "kickoff" this Christmas season is to attend the first annual Christmas tree lighting and light show afterwards tomorrow night at Bridge Street Town Center, an outdoor, european style shopping center here in Huntsville, much like the Summit in B'ham. YES, I am aware that it is supposed to be FREEZING, but every Christmas season we go one night as a family (with my extended family) to dinner and do something special together. This year will be this event tomorrow night. Their will be caroling and warm drinks to accompany us! :) We will have dinner there, too. I am looking very forward to it and then also to putting our tree up Saturday night! We ALWAYS do it the weekend after Thanksgiving, but since we will be hosting family at our home the weekend on/after Thanksgiving, we are going to do it this weekend.


I hope you and your family are "catching the Christmas spirit" this year and are remembering the REASON FOR THE SEASON! Cherish each other and celebrate the fact that you are TOGETHER this year. If someone in your family is missing, hug the ones you do have a little tighter....

2 comments:

Kristin said...

At our House of Prayer service on Wednesday night we specifically prayed for those who have lost loved ones in the last year and who will struggle with the upcoming holidays. We prayed for them to have peace and comfort.

Enjoy your family thing tonight...maybe it won't be too cold! :o)

Jennifer said...

I hope that you all had a great time at Bridgestreet. We would have loved to have been there. However, we felt that it was too chilly to take the twins. Praying for you!