Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Grief

Losing someone is the most awful thing anyone could go through I truly believe. The physical presence of them here one day and gone the next is mind boggling to me in a sense. To have experienced it myself now, I have a better grasp on the reality of it, but it still blows my mind to think that Tori is really and truly "gone."

I've never known how to fully explain how it all feels, or even how to relate to someone else before now about exactly how they feel, but this excerpt from my friend's devotion put it perfectly. This is why I find encouragement through sharing what each of us experience through the word and what we learn from our time with the Lord. The author is Dee Brestin.

"I've just come back from taping a broadcast on grief with Dr. James Dobson of Focus on the Family. I told him that ever since my husband died, I have an invisible knife sticking out of my heart. Some friends see it and know how to respond - others do not, and bump up against it, pushing it to excruciating depths of pain. The friends that see the knife (because they themselves have experienced a catastrophic loss or because they are sensitive to the Spirit) know that high-tide grief of a friend is the time to mourn, to be silent. Later there will be a time to laugh and to speak - but it's not when you are reeling from a loss that has changed your whole life."

Now that's not a slam on anyone, just the facts on how all this "works" and how awful it can all be at times because of all the normal things one experiences. She said she shared it because it is just nice to know someone else understands how you feel, and it is. People are so caring and so trying to find the right words, although a friend and I talked about all this and unfortunately, there are no perfect words. I appreciate every gesture and act of love done throughout this time by everyone who has tried to be an encouragement to us through this time, though. I really and truly do.

I just loved how this author put it...and I thought I'd pass it on to hopefully encourage someone else who's lost someone....because there are others who understand how you feel....and I'm one of them. I pray for peace and encouragement for you.

No comments: