Monday, May 19, 2008

JOB

The Lord knows my heart, but I ask that you will pray with me on a big unspoken. I am really torn in a lot of different ways right now. Life has finally gotten around to being what it was before, and by that I mean in lots of different ways and things, but yet still not quite the same. Hard to explain, and without sounding too frazzled, I'll just leave it at that. Just please pray for me if you will.

I am enjoying my time at home with Savannah, but with gas and everything else rising now, I am contemplating a lot of different things and trying not to worry about them all at the same time. While going through everything with Tori, we realized all the things that we thought were so important before or worth stressing over were actually very trivial. However, our "demons" tend to come back around so to speak once there's not anything bigger or better pressing at the time. Hope that makes some sense.....basically, Satan knows how to attack us at just the right time and what tactics to use. The saying, "You're either about to go through a storm, or you're in the midst of a storm, or you're coming out of a storm," is truer than I realized. I learned what it meant to fully trust and not worry when Tori was so sick, but will I still cling tight to that in other, everyday things? Will you?

We had Graduates Day yesterday at church, and I was very moved by what several of the youth and various people said and spoke on. I was challenged and refreshed. I then go "out into the world," back into my everyday run of the mill kind of days, and Satan challenges me on what I heard and prayed about. We heard yesterday how Satan wants to steal, kill and destroy us. He wants to steal our joy. He wants to destroy our lives, our testimony, what we believe in and stand for.

I must admit it's very difficult to live a victorious Christian life everyday, and if you can't relate to that statement, I am happy for you that life is so easy for you! :) Seriously though, there are so many things thrown at us everyday that we are constantly having to choose a right attitude, a right response, a right decision, and I could go on. So many times I fail, but I desire to strive to do what the seniors were challenged to do yesterday....and that is to live godly, Christian lives everyday, putting Him first, seeking Him and His righteousness first, letting all other things be added unto me. He promises to bless my life if I put Him first. I may not think any blessings are going to ever possibly come out of all the bad things, all the problems, all the worries, but did Job know that everything was going to be okay? He asked "WHY?" but God didn't answer him directly. It's somewhat disturbing that God didn't seem to answer, but He didn't condemn Job for asking why either. Sometimes He will answer; sometimes He won't. Do we need a clause that says everything is going to be okay and then we will trust Him? If so, that's not true faith.

In reading a devotion about Job, it said it perfectly, "We live in a broken world full of sinful people. It is a planet of rebellion against its Creator; it should hardly surprise us that believers are caught in the crossfire." Does that mean that the Lord won't bless us, though? NO! I've said it before, but we live in a sinful world, and all the evil, hard, difficult, sorrowful things in this life are results of our sin. Striving to be more Christlike and committed to Him and trusting that the Lord will come through for us like we say we believe, though, makes this life all worthwhile.

The devotion also said, "When you are tempted to blame God for your suffering, think of it like this: It's like giving a fragile, priceless, family heirloom to a child. He looks over it and then smashes it to the floor. As he stands there in the midst of the shattered pieces of what you gave him, he shakes his clenched fists in your face and says, "Look what you've done! Look at this piece of junk you gave me!" The child is wrong; you gave him a wonderful, treasured possesion and he ruined it. God gave us a perfect world, but we've turned it into the chaos that it is today." This puts it into perspective perfectly that we live in a sinful world and how it's ultimately our fault and just because we're Christians and good people doesn't mean we are exempt from suffering or hard times. We just have the hope that we will overcome it all because He overcame the world! Job was a good person, doing what he should when all of his trials started.

I am reminded that "It's easy to serve God when life is sunny; the test is how we respond when the storm washes over us. And if you're serious about following Jesus, brace yourself; storms will come." My friend whom I am studying Job with pointed out that the Lord was the one who said to Satan, "Have you considered MY servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." He allows storms in our lives, no doubt, and some people might doubt His authority or even His existence because of that. They say "If God is good, He must not be all powerful, or He wouldn't allow evil in our lives."

The bottom line pointed out in this same devotion is that "GOD DOESN'T PROMISE HIS CHILDREN HAPPINESS. He's much more concerned with our holiness- and often that involves pain and sacrifice. Worthwhile things seldom come without great cost. Following Jesus is no exception." Everyday, people reject Christ because of this. They don't see that what He did for us, which was dying at calvary, makes us so unworthy and that following Him, being His servant, enduring trials and yet praising Him through them, is what we are supposed to do. It's what we are called to do. They confuse themselves by thinking that God enjoys making us suffer, but truly, he doesn't get anything out of watching us hurt. It hurts him, too. He's our Father, and He hurts when His children hurt. He just wants us to be like His Son (who came to suffer and die for us)- even when life isn't all rosey.

So back to my unspoken, this blog was a challenge to me, not just you. I am trying to put all this into practice when it comes to things I'm praying about and what goes on in my own life. I pray that the Lord reveals Himself in a mighty, powerful way in my life and that I will be ready for it. If I'm not in the hour of waiting, expecting or anticipating hearing from Him or seeing Him work, I might miss it. Wouldn't that be awful? He wants to use His servants who are willing and able....sometimes in the most unexpected ways. Will you let Him use you? Are you going through a storm or coming out of one or possibly entering one? I'd love to hear from others about your experience with this subject, your thoughts and/or opinions. It is encouraging to me and I welcome your comments. You don't have to be a blogger member to leave a comment. Let me know what you think....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melissa.

You're right on the money with your opening statements. We don't really know what's important until something tragic happens. My son's father was abusive, and when Ty was a couple of weeks short of two years old, I took my chance, packed and left him, carrying everything I could possible pack plus 1/2 of our savings account - I am always fair - $16,000. In Flagstaff, AZ, the car broke completely down and we had to buy a different car. While we were swapping trailers and stuff, someone stole my purse with all Ty's baby pictures, some of my Police Dept. stuff, and that check. As I sank to my knees, completely defeated, I heard God's voice just as clear as a bell: "You have nothing left. No husband, no home, no money. Everything you have put value on is gone. Is there room for Me now?" I answered, "Not yet." A little over a year later, I accepted Christ.

In a sermon one morning, the pastor said that we were to put God above all else - parents, children, spouses, everything. I said, out loud, that it was easy to put Him above spouses and parents, but I could NEVER put Him above my son. Ty's father had begun sexually abusing Ty at age 3 and kept it up until about age 4 and a half. How could I possibly put anything or anyone above my son? Not much after that, I lost custody of Ty to his abusive father. It took awhile, but I figured out what was really important. My Lord and Savior.

Terry Frakes

The Hull Munchkins said...

Good challenging words. Thank you for reminding us to always be watchful, prayerful and ready to obey when His word when it comes to us.
It's hard to remember that He cares about our details... even the silent ones. And you are right about trivial things fading away once your life is thrown into a storm (NICU)!
Everyday brings a new challenge to choose to do what Christ would be pleased with. Not just what is ok, or good... but what will bring Him glory.

I'm praying for you.
-Patty

Anonymous said...

I continuosly pray for you and your family. Every once in a while, when I teach Savannah's class at church, I never know exactly what to say to you when you pick her up. I know that sounds childish, I have kept up with your blogs and everything. You and I are the same age, yet you have been through so much that, even though I am a mother, I am at a loss for words when I see you. It takes my breathe away everything you've been through and yet you always seem so positive. I feel as though my family and I were led to WHBC for a reason, yet I have no idea what it is. I beleive the Graduate's Day yesterday really challenged a lot of us, and as I struggle with my own life, kids, daily struggles, I try to live the life God wants me to live but yet fall short everytime! Thanks for always being so positive. God Bless You and your family!

Anonymous said...

dearest melissa....
thank you for your constant thoughts. they are always so inspiring and encouraging. your heart encourages me, often, to take a look at my own...and so much of the time, i am disgusted with what i find. you have been through so much already, and yet, you still, welcome the storm if it only brings you closer to the Lord. i say that i want that, but it scares me so much. and why? i think about and appreciate so much what God has done for me...sending His Son to die on the cross...and what have i given back? sure there have been good moments...but i want to give more than that, yet it seems like the hardest thing to do. i KNOW what kind of person i long to be, the type of Christian i desire to be...and yet, i fail...CONSTANTLY. and i look at you, and i think, "if melissa can go through what she has, then what is my problem?" "i have not had quite the struggles in life...why can't i give Him more praise and glory than i do?" i am humbled by you. and i must admit, i am jealous of your faith, your trust, your relationship. i long to be where you are in all of that, but so afraid of what God can and will use to get me there. why can't i just get there KNOWING that's where i need to be? i hold on to you and your words and what i have learned. i pray, that one day, if i should go through such a storm, i will be half of what you have shown yourself to be. i wish, so much, that i could spend time with you. i am at a place in life, where i enjoy spending my time with people who can encourage me and my walk with the Lord. i enjoy surrounding myself with people who radiate that kind of faith. there is so much to be learned through you. i truly hope that one day, i will get to spend, even if it's just one afternoon, i would love to spend with you in person. talk about tori, life, and your relationship with God and how much your walk and your journey, your story inspires me! i know that may sound silly, but i think about it often. you are someone that i KNOW without a doubt that God has put in my life for a reason, and i just wish that i could sit and talk with you a while. you are so precious to me...and i love reading what you have to say. thank you for being so good to share His love with so many others. it means more than you will ever know.
always praying for you...and God bless you.
shannon stinson

gracie :) said...

These are the truths that are so important to remember when we are hurting. There really is a bigger picture going on...God really does have our ultimate good in mind through our suffering. To our human perspective it seems so unfair, yet I have a feeling that when that glorious day comes, we will have wished it no other way! Then we will be able to see Him face to face and see how much higher and more glorious His purposes were than our own. Job is my hero. He trusted when he could not see. May that be said of us one day!

author@ptgbook.org said...

One of the lessons Job had to learn was to trust and believe in God's righteousness more than His own. It was easy for him to believe that God was good when God was blessing him for his obedience. But when God allowed him to suffer greatly for a long time in an unusual way even though Job had not done anything wrong, Job's faith in God's goodness was tested. It seemed to him that God was treating him unfairly. He could not think of anything he could have done wrong, and he questioned God's fairness. When faced with the choice of believing in his own righteousness or God's righteousness, he believed in his own righteousness more than God's. But eventually he learned his lesson and God blessed him again.

God is indeed all powerful and all good. But He has His own reasons for not revealing WHY He allows pain and suffering, and mankind as a whole does not yet understand what those reasons are. But God has good reasons.

God also is testing the faith of those who believe in Him. As I point out in my book, the biggest part of faith is not just believing that God exists, but believing God, in other words, trusting God enough to believe what He says even when we do not yet understand the "why". This is a lesson God wants His children to learn in this life because it will pay off in eternity.